The History of
Denver Lodge #5 A.F. & A.M.
Masonry came to Colorado with the pioneers and it may be said that the history of the early days of Colorado is a history of the achievements of the Masons of that time. their firm beliefs in the tenets of the Fraternity— Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth — and their constant practice of the four cardinal virtues — Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence and Justice — caused them to work in harmony and to take a prominent part in all the movements tending to promote the welfare of the community.
The first recorded informal meeting of Masons in this region was held on November 3, 1858. On August 15, 1859, an application was made to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Kansas for dispensation to organize Auraria Lodge, U.D., but through a series of unfortunate events, the dispensation did not arrive until October 1, 1859. And so, the first regular meeting of Masons in Colorado was then held on October 1, 1859, when a group met in the hall of Auraria Lodge.
The Grand Lodge of Colorado A.F. & A.M. was formed in 1861 and on December 11, 1861, this Grand Lodge granted a charter to the Auraria Lodge under the name of Denver Lodge No. 5, by which name it has continued to exist up to the present. The first installed officers of Denver Lodge #5 were as follows:
- Paris S. Pfouts, Worshipful Master
- Charles H. Blake, Senior Warden
- John H. Gerrish, Junior Warden
- Fred Z. Salomon, Treasurer
- George W. Kassler, Secretary
- Andrew Sagendorf, Senior Deacon
- E. S. Wilhite, Junior Deacon
- E. Winslow Cobb, Senior Steward
- Chas. L. Bartlett, Junior Steward
- William Porter, Tiler
Since this time, Denver Lodge #5 has been an integral part of the community and has participated in many cornerstone ceremonies, such as at Union Depot in 1870 and the University of Colorado in 1875. The cornerstone of our present Masonic Temple was laid but the Grand Lodge of Colorado A.F. & A.M. in April, 1889, and the first meeting was held there on June 30, 1890. Except for a one year period in 1984 when the interior of the building was destroyed by fire and rebuilt, the Lodge has continued to meet at this historic location ever since.